16 reasons to travel to Greece
• 16 reasons to travel to Greece
In 2018 Crete was voted the fifth most popular destination in the world, and the year before Greece took second place in the category "best country to visit." Greece also included in the list of the top 30 countries to visit, which proves that this country, with its unique beauty and traditions should be very high on your list of trips.
We have found for you the best places to visit in Greece, the best dishes that you can try, and the most interesting activities to take part in them.
1. Mount Pelion.
Makrinitsa is located on Mount Pelion in Volos in central Greece, and is the most famous village thanks mainly to its unique views and traditional architecture. Even on the hottest summer days the temperature there is below average.
2. Watch the sunsets of Santorini and its unique architecture.
Sunsets in Santorini, especially in the area of Oia, are among the most famous in the world. People travel from all over the globe to get married before sunset.
3. Visit Lesvos island and its beautiful scenery.
A large lake in Lesvos.
4. Visit Spinalonga, the island that was used as a leper colony.
Spinalonga island is located near Crete and was used as a leper colony in 1903 and 1957. Today the island is uninhabited and is mainly used for tourist visits.
5. Enjoy seafood by the sea.
Most taverns octopus hang to dry them, to prepare them for later in the day.
6. Try souvlaki and other traditional Greek dishes.
The main choice of fast food in Greece is a souvlaki on a stick or souvlaki wrapped in pita bread with tomatoes, onions, mustard and ketchup.
7. Visit local festivals in the summer.
During the summer months, thousands of local festivals taking place all over Greece. The Greeks called them panigiri and include live music accompanied by traditional dances, a lot of wine and beer, as well as meat from the barbecue.
8. Try a Greek coffee and frappe.
The famous Greek coffee appeared in the Middle East to Turkey and then from there to Greece. It is prepared using an aluminum pot, and he has a strong, but delicious taste.
9. Visit as many archaeological sites as possible.
Delphi situated on Mount Parnassus recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. This place was mentioned in mythology, dating as far back as 510 BC.
10. A trip to visit Meteora and its monasteries.
Meteora - a group of rock formations, where the monasteries of the Greek Orthodox Church were built. It is recognized by UNESCO as a world heritage site.
11. Visit the Valley of the Butterflies in Rhodes. Valley of the Butterflies in Rhodes, where thousands of butterflies can be seen in the summer.
12. Find the seashells, sea urchins and shellfish in the sea.
Many Greek beaches are filled with urchins and molluscs. While hedgehogs pretty easy to spot (and also easy to attack), search of shellfish requires experience.
13. Take a trip to Thessaloniki and take a stroll through the beautiful pedestrian road next to the sea.
Thessaloniki - the second largest city after Athens. The White Tower is its most famous landmark, and it leads to a new pedestrian road next to the sea, where the umbrella sculpture adorns the area.
14. Go through the Samaria Gorge on Crete.
Samaria Gorge is located in Crete and has been used as a national park since 1962 it is. Its length is 18 km. and it begins at an altitude of 1250 m Gate, the most famous part of this national park, -. This is the place where the sides of the gorge come together and create a passage with a width of 4 m.
15. Learn basic windsurfing.
Aegean offers excellent winds and waves that are ideal for windsurfing and many other water sports.
16. Explore the Acropolis and the surrounding area.
The Parthenon in Athens.