8 little-known facts about the Shaolin
• 8 little-known facts about the Shaolin
The name "Shaolin" by ear, even those who have little interest in martial arts. However, we are aware of this legendary monastery quite a bit.
1. In 495, the monastery was founded Shaolin is not Chinese.
Its founder was a wandering Buddhist monk from India named Bhadra. He appeared in China in the year 464 and preached there for several decades before the emperor Xiao Wen Di ordered the construction of Shaolin Temple on Songshan Mountain for him.
2. Shaolin lived for some time the legendary Bodhidharma.
The legend says that around 475 AD. e. Buddhist monk Bodhidharma arrived by sea to China, which began to preach his doctrine. He then settled in the Shaolin monastery, shortly before it based on the Songshan Mountain, where he founded the first school of Chan Buddhism.
3. monastery monastic troops initially had. In 620, the 13 Shaolin monks have helped Li Shimin (599-649) to stay on the throne, and the monastery has received royal permission to practice martial arts.
4. Contrary to popular belief, Shaolin - not only Chinese monastery, where the monks were trained in combat, and not there were martial arts. Other orders of monks began assiduously to study martial arts and fighting with sticks earlier. Entries Chunqiu that have been made about 800-500 years BC, refer to the "hard" and "soft" techniques of unarmed combat - these two techniques formed the basis of modern kung fu. During the reign of the Moon Dynasty (1368-1644 years BC), when the Shaolin only began to be associated with perfect martial arts, kung fu was already known all over China.
5. In 1928, the military commander Shi Yusan set fire to Shaolin Temple. unique written records have been destroyed, for example, a treatise Sanfena Zhang, who was considered the source of Tai Chi. In the ruins of the monastery lay half a century. At that time there lived only seven monks, of whom only three were familiar with kung fu.
6. According to the legends, except for the Northern Shaolin Temple, there was a Southern Shaolin Temple, which is located in Fujian Province. There are no reliable sources of its existence found.
7. The interest in Chinese martial arts around the world began after the release of the movie "Shaolin Temple" (1982). Filming took place in Hunan province. As decorations used a real Buddhist temple. Later came "Shaolin Kids" (1983) and "Martial Arts of Shaolin" (1986). The trilogy was shown even in the Soviet Union in the framework of kinoprilozheniya to "kinoputeshestvennikov Club" in 1989.
8. According to George Lucas, the prototypes of the Jedi in "Star Wars" became the Shaolin monks.