123 facts about Belarus through the eyes of Russians
For a long time I lived in Belarus. I decided to write an article about this wonderful country, as many Russians nothing about Belarus not really know.
1. If you travel to Belarus from Russia, basically nothing will change, but you will notice some visual differences immediately.
2. Belarusian domains to end in .mobi, and on .by.
3. Prices are in rubles, but by the standards of the Russians are simply stunning. The fact that one Russian ruble is worth about 270-year-Belarusian, so the inscription "Laptop for just 3.999 million rubles," no surprise.
4. The names of many companies start with "Bel": "Beltelecom", "Belarusbank", "Belgosstrakh," etc...
5. The official symbols of their own, here you will never see the two-headed eagle.
6. The population of Belarus 9, 5 million., Two of them live in Minsk.
7. Belarus Minsk is the only city-millionaire. The second largest city - Gomel - has about 500 thousand.
8. Service in the army long enough - 1, 5 years. Pay off is not possible (at least I have not heard about such). Recruits are only looking for all sorts of ailments, to "hang" from the service of the fatherland. And many, I must say, it is.
9. A ticket to Minsk cinema costs an average of $ 3-4.
10. In the Minsk subway has a station "Kastrychnitskaya". The name is often amuses visitors from Russia and Ukraine. And translated it as "October", since "October" in Belarusian be "kastrychnik".
11. Europe's largest ancient forest is located in Belarus - this Bialowieza Forest, where there are nearly 2,000 giant trees. Over the age of some of them older than the discovery of America by Columbus. Part of the Bialowieza Forest is located on the territory of Poland. By the way, in the Bialowieza Forest it signed an agreement on dissolution of the Soviet Union.
12. In Belarus, the famous Bobruisk - the capital city of Albany and loved Shura Balaganov. 13. The KGB and the GAI is not renamed in Belarus.
14. In Belarus do Krambambulya - alcoholic beverage infused with honey and herbs. It is possible to drink both cold and hot. To be honest, not all do Belarusians know about Krambambulya but educated always know. Krambambulya Bottle is a perfect gift to friends at home. It can be bought in a hypermarket "Korona".
15. Currency can be exchanged at any bank. In this case, no compensation fund, as in Russia, which sometimes charge a significant fee.
16. Minsk is very compact and easy to live the city; almost round, a diameter of about 25 km. Until 1939 Minsk was named Mensk. His almost renamed in the early 1990s.
17. By the way, in Belarus in the course of no coins. Money paper. Minimum bill - 50 rubles (a little more than 0, 5 cents).
18. Not only advertising on the streets.
19. In Belarus, there is no religious hatred. Often, people in general violet who professes the religion.
20. In the second half of the 20-ies of the last century in the Belarusian SSR had four official languages: Russian, Belarusian, Polish and Yiddish. Do not believe me? Here is the coat of arms of the then BSSR.
21. The dog in the Belarusian language - he said. "Perche blin Sabaku" - Belarusian equivalent of saying "better luck next time."
22. Belarus has good roads, it is noted by all visitors. On the roads a good markup.
23. "Milavitsa" translated from Belarusian as "Venus". However, most people abroad associate MILAVITSA with beautiful lingerie.
24. Independence Square in Minsk - one of the largest in Europe. Photos attached. By the way, the main avenue of the capital is also called Independence Avenue (in the 1990s and early 2000s he was called Francis Skorina Avenue).
25. Twice in Soviet history Mogilev almost became the capital of Belarus. The first time - in 1938, when the Soviet border ran just a few kilometers away from Minsk. Even began reconstruction of the city, but then take and happen accession of Western Belarus, and the idea of transferring the capital to Mogilev disappeared. The second time to seriously question the postponement came after the liberation of Minsk from invaders - the city was almost completely destroyed, and saw two options: build Minsk in a new location, or transfer capital to another. But it did not. 26. In Belarus, the three mobile operators: MTS, Velcom and Life. Coating 100%.
27. The average monthly salary in Belarus (by hand) - about $ 500, in Minsk - $ 600. Prices are comparable with Russian. Rents for the majority of citizens is low. For one-bedroom apartment have to pay an average of $ 15 per month.
28. Belarus has preserved farms, all the fields are processed. This is particularly noticeable at the entrance to Belarus from Russia. Field really well maintained and very beautiful. No weeds and weeds. This fact can be verified on Google Maps. Farmers in Belarus are very few.
29. By the way, the right to speak and write - Belarus, not Byelorussia. Belarusians will never say "Belarus".
30. The Belarusian schools and universities marks are exposed on a 10-point scale. Four equal to the triple (on a scale) six - to four, nine - to five. Five-point scale has long been forgotten.
31. All en masse learn English. Although the level of language proficiency is still poor.
32. Guys usually get acquainted with the girls in higher education, at work or with friends. On the street to get acquainted with the girls is not accepted, as well as talking to strangers.
33. Belarus has two state languages - Russian and Belarusian. In the Belarusian language almost no one speaks, even in the village, but all the heat treat him. Many Belarusians regret that they have forgotten their own culture in their hearts.
34. The Belarusian language is similar to the same extent on the Polish and Russian. Therefore, Belarusian Poles understand if he will speak slowly. Of all the languages likely to Belarus is most similar to Ukrainian. Most of the words is the same.
35. Interesting words in Belarusian: "Vyaselka" - "Rainbow", "murzilka" - "slut", "kali weasel" - "please."
36. The Belarusian language is very beautiful. Russian and Ukrainians is evident that the Belarusian many words are written by "a", where "o" in the Russian or Ukrainian. So do not be surprised inscriptions "vakzal", "malako", "Gorod", "Maskva". 37. The Belarusians are very warm to the Russian and Ukrainians. Relationship with foreigners neutral. Respect for the Poles.
38. And the Belarusians are well abroad (Poland, the Baltic States, the Czech Republic). Belarusians speak in Russian, why they are often initially confused with the Russians. After clarification, however, attitudes are changing for the better. In the United States, few people know that there is a country - Belarus. And those who know just remember two things: Chernobyl and Lukashenko. What can you do?
39. In spite of the cultural and historical affinity with Russia, the Belarusians do not identify themselves with Russia.
40. Vodka in Belarusian be "garelka".
41. On the streets a lot of police. Police did not rename the police.
42. Give a bribe traffic cops extremely difficult. Almost do not take. Permitted driving with alcohol to 0, 3 ppm. If you are caught drunk - the right to be taken away for sure.
43. In Belarus, try to observe traffic regulations. Moving pedestrian red light is extremely rare. Drivers always pass pedestrians.
44. In six regions of Belarus - Brest, Grodno, Vitebsk, Mogilev, Gomel and Minsk. The closest major city to Minsk - Vilnius.
45. Incidentally, Vilnius more than six centuries was the de facto capital of Belarus; It is the cradle of the Belarusian culture. Previously it called Vilnius Vilnia (or Vilna), and only in 1939 he became a Lithuanian.
46. Villages in Western and Eastern Belarus are strikingly different. In the west, they are well maintained, in the east - where more than running. That's noticeable.
47. Belarus has a strained relationship with the European Union and the United States. In this connection, to obtain a US visa Belarusians travel to Lithuania or Russia.
48. In Belarus, it is impossible to drink beer and alcohol in the street. Fined. Smoking while you can, but they want to ban.
49. In Belarus, many casinos. Especially in Minsk. Once in Russia tightened gambling, like mushrooms after the rain began to open casinos in Belarus, which provided an additional inflow of foreign currency into the country. 50. Smoking marijuana, of course, impossible.
51. In Belarus, virtually no non-Slavs, blacks, Chinese, Vietnamese, and so on. D.
52. Taxi in Minsk worth $ 0, 5 1 km, public transport and the metro - 25 cents (the penalty for ticketless travel less than $ 3). In Minsk, two subway lines, arranged crosswise. An hour by car you can get from any city to any place without exception (in the evening and at night - for half an hour). And on public transport, in principle, too. Congestion is not enough.
53. In Minsk there is an amazing bike path about 40 km long. Bicycles have become very popular.
54. The most famous Belarusian poets - Yanka Kupala and Yakub Kolas. Note.
55. Among the peoples of Europe Belarusians were among the first printed his Bible. The first pioneer of the eastern Slavs - Francis Skorina. He Belarusian.
56. Gender-Belarus wants to move to Minsk, but it is difficult for visitors. Accommodation costs from $ 1500 per square meter. One-room apartment - about $ 300 a month, one-bedroom - $ 450. Do not smile, if you are from Moscow :)
57. In Belarus, a very quiet and peaceful. You can walk at night without fearing for their safety.
58. In Vitebsk passes the famous "Slavic Bazaar" every year.
59. The coat of arms and flag of Belarus is almost Soviet. From 1991 to 1995, the year the emblem of Belarus was the "Chase" (emblem of present-day Lithuania) and white-red-white flag. They are now banned. Supporters of the symbols are not allowed in the stadium. Young people like the historical symbolism. "The Chase" is rooted in the history of 700 years, at least as early as 1366, the year the local rulers Jogaila and Vytautas in full use on their seals this story.
60. Belarusian vodka is good, a lot of foreign supermarkets vodka, whiskey and so on. D.
61. On this day in Minsk on Independence Square you can see staged in Soviet times, a statue of Lenin. Generally, Lenin stand in each city. 62. Upon entering the customs union of Belarus sharply raise duties on foreign cars. That is why the year before that Belarusians have imported a record amount of good and almost new cars. In particular, the Mercedes S-Class, BMW 7, and so on. D.
63. World Cup a lot of hotels being built on hockey. Hotels are few and expensive. But the situation is improving.
64. By the way, Belarus becomes crazy hockey. Everywhere ice rinks are being built. Hockey allocated more funds than on football. People are much more interested in football (as elsewhere).
65. all very zareglamentirovano Belarus. Street trading is virtually absent, very few snack bars and cafes. Shawarma and hot pancakes can be bought only in several markets. In large cities, very often the most modern shopping mall and hypermarket.
66. Beggars and homeless virtually none.
67. Belarusian Victoria Azarenka for a long time kept the title of the first racket of the world.
68. In Belarus, two religions: Orthodoxy and Catholicism. Katolikov 20%. Many holidays are duplicated and are output. For example, in Belarus, the output is 25 December and 7 January. Similarly, Easter. In Belarus, Radunica - the day of remembrance of ancestors - is a holiday. But after the New Year, January 3, tend to go to work.
69. bunnies in Belarus money had long been called. Money with images of animals were in circulation from 1992 to 1996-th year. Now in use Belarusian ruble is sometimes referred to as "protein". On denominations depict the building.
70. Also in Belarus November 7 is the output. In general, Belarus is very Soviet country - and it's true. Lenin street, Sverdlov, Frunze en masse. However, in the new neighborhoods of the street are named Belarusian activists: Str. Napoleon Orda, st. Yankees Luchin street. Joseph Zhinovich and so on. D. The newly opened metro station were called "Grushevka", "Michałowo", "Piatroŭščyna".
71. In this case, when coming flaunt the fact that they come "back to USSR", it can be a little alert Belarusians. Belarusians live in the present and not in the Soviet Union. 72. Belarus has lived a lot of Jews. Now much less.
73. not "dislike" of Jews in Belarus. Anti-Semitism is not observed.
74. 20% of the territory of Belarus contaminated with radiation after the Chernobyl disaster. The evacuation zone can enter freely. In them you will see a lot of signs warning of radiation. In many areas of the evacuation of all living creatures: wolf, wild boar, elk.
75. In spite of the tolerance in its history Belarusians fought almost constantly. You will not believe, but most of all - with Russia. Many times as a result of wars villages and towns were burnt to ashes.
76. Belarus is still not abolished the death penalty.
77. Belarus twice won the children's "Eurovision".
78. If we talk about the national dish, then for some reason, just remember the pancakes. However, if you say that you know this dish as Vereshchaka, surprise Belarusians would be no limit (not all Belarusians and do something in the course).
79. Probably, the majority of Russians and Ukrainians of Belarus is strongly associated with Lukashenko. Yes, stretch Lukashenko has ruled the country since 1994, the year. However, Belarus - is not just Lukashenko, believe me.
80. The urban population is higher than in all the bordering countries, without exception, and is 75%.
81. No imperialism altogether. As I mentioned, the Belarusians did not consider themselves to be Russian and do not make any claims on the cultural, territorial and financial dominance.
82. In Belarus, women retire at 55 years, men - in 60.
83. In Belarus, a lot of World War II monuments. Few people know that the war started in Belarus is not June 22, 1941, and September 1, 1939. Men present Grodno and Brest regions were drafted into the Polish army and fought against the Germans. In every fourth Belarusian perished during the war.
84. In reality, Belarus suffered greatly during the Second World War. Minsk virtually rebuilt (and almost all of the city). Few old buildings. All Soviet construction. 85. Belarusian cities clean and tidy.
86. In Belarus, agriculture is developed. Belarus is among the world's top five exporters of dairy products. Product quality is really high.
87. And the twenty - arms export.
88. Belarus had nuclear weapons, but it was taken to Russia in the early 90s. So now Belarus - a nuclear-free area.
89. Belarus for more than 600 years has been in the same state with Lithuania, more than 300 years - from Poland, and nearly 200 years - from Russia.
90. The border with Russia is not, you can enter and fail to notice (not even everywhere there are signs). But at the entrance to the Bryansk region Russian name is misspelled - "Russian Fediratsiya".
91. Belarus comes a lot of Russian for dental treatment, dyeing machines, and so on. D. Better and cheaper than in Russia.
92. Come to Belarus in order to relax and "hang out". The girls are very beautiful.
93. In Belarus, virtually no rallies. It is not recommended to walk on them, if you do not want to amass a problem. Not all are happy with the existing way of life, however, are silent on this.
94. In Belarus, it is impossible to go to college to pull. After a 11-class pass coming centralized testing, all trusted him as to write off in advance to know the answer, it is impossible. What happens is that children deans and rectors can not go to university, in which both parents work.
95. Belarus is very similar to Russia, but Belarus - not Russia.
96. In Belarus, many state-owned enterprises, private business is not well developed. The set of rules and regulations. Constantly hear something and then nationalized another company.
97. Belarusians like the Belarusian language, but are not as nationalists, as the Ukrainians. Rather indifferent.
98. Go Belarusian and Russian channels. Also Euronews. Ukrainian and Polish - no.
99. Many Belarusians sincerely believe that in Russia until now there is complete chaos and total corruption, as if 90 nothing has changed. And are proud that they all quietly in this regard.
100. The standard of living in Belarus on average: a little higher than in Ukraine; slightly lower than in Russia (meaning the Russian, not Moscow); lower than in Poland; slightly lower than in Kazakhstan.
101. In Belarus, there is no giant oil or gas deposits. About $ 1 billion a year in a country earns on salt. And the rest has to turn - to produce and trade all goods. Work and work hard.
102. Speaking of salt. Due to the deposits of potassium salts of the highest wages in Belarus is not recorded in Minsk and Soligorsk.
103. Following the collapse of the Soviet Union in Belarus large enterprises saved. Not all of them are profitable, however, some quite successful. For example, "BelAZ".
104. Also, after the collapse of the USSR in Belarus there was a strong "Hapuna", in connection with which a bundle in the community is much lower than in neighboring states. However, the farther the separation increases. In Belarus there are poor and rich has, as elsewhere.
105. Belarus has not made boast of their wealth. Rich layer exists, however, in all Minsk only a few "Bentley" and I think only one "Maybach". The rich do not always show others that they are rich. Will light up - there will be problems.
106 villas and cottages near Minsk also look a lot easier and more modest than the villa near Moscow or Kiev.
107. In Belarus, the cult of the Great Patriotic War and the Soviet Union. Great Patriotic War teach well at school and university. However, young people in this topic is not very interested.
108. At the same time Belarus has a rich history. In the Middle Ages, Belarus called Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Belarus name appears only XVI-m (or so) century. But that does not mean it did not exist before the Belarusians. Previously, they were called Lytvyn. In the 90 years the country would officially be called "the Lithuanian Republic of Belarus". 109. Belarus - is in any case not an artificial entity generated by the USSR!
110. In Belarus, per capita lot of programmers are much higher than in Russia and Ukraine. The world's largest outsourcing companies (after India) located in Belarus (Epam, Itransition). programmers salary is about $ 1500 per month and are increasing; to be a programmer is very prestigious.
111. It is also prestigious to be a doctor. However, a qualified physician salary rarely exceeds $ 400. In Belarus, a little private medical clinics.
112. Belarusians really tolerant.
113. In Belarus, Google also distributed as Yandex. Belarus - the only country in the world where the largest percentage of users are using as the Opera browser. Social Networking - "Classmates", "Vkontakte".
114. It is believed that the potato is a symbol of Belarus. Belarusian potato will "bulb". While eating her Belarusians as well as Russian and Ukrainian.
115. Belarus is not accepted to discuss politics. This topic - taboo. On this subject also not joke. With Ukraine and Russia in stark contrast. No protests and rallies dissatisfied. Rather, they are, but suppressed in the bud.
116. In Belarus, virtually no unemployment. Throughout required required required. Find qualified personnel is difficult. Many people are involved in the government.
117. Many people want to go to the west, many are forced to seek higher wages in Moscow.
118. In Belarus, as already mentioned, go Belarusian rubles. A loaf of bread costs an average of 5,000 rubles. At the same time more or less important items are always translated into dollars. Purchase currency is not usually a problem.
119. Belarusians, according to the Russian Ambassador to Belarus Surkov, unlike Russian: more accustomed to order and not so reckless.
120. In Belarus, many rivers, lakes, swamps and forests (more than 30% of the territory). However, there is no exit to the sea and no mountains. The scenery is very picturesque. 121. In Belarus, unlike Russia, few banks (about 30).
122. Fuel prices at all petrol stations are the same. A little less than $ 1 per liter.
123. Belarus - a very good and nice country. Surprisingly, it did not talk about it very little and do not write in Russian (about Ukraine did not know). It is worth visiting at least once - boring you just will not. Welcome!