Six years of living with the wolves
• Six years of living with the wolves
Married couple Jim and Jamie Dutcher (Jim and Jamie Dutcher) spent six years living in a tent in the woods among a pack of wolves in an effort to understand the way of life and the essence of these animals.
They lived without electricity or running water, in the most primitive savage conditions, without leaving the place, even in winter, when the Idaho woods crackled almost Siberian frosts. Judging from the photos made by them, and after published on their website and in the media, they were able to establish with the wolves is very close, almost family ties and look to where few of the men succeeded.
Many wolves Jim and Jamie flocks known to puppyhood, themselves helped to nurse, and their eyes they have grown and become inveterate powerful individuals, but mindful of human kindness, good attitude and reciprocate.
The couple witnessed scenes leader change, promotion pack members in the hierarchy, which plays a crucial role in wolf society, as well as witness how the male wolf almost human mourned her the dead girlfriend, expressing, as it seemed to the people, the grief and the sadness of her loss.
Jim and Jamie tried to capture everything that could show people how important it is to keep the number of wolves, and that in fact they are not as ruthless and bloodthirsty "killing machines", what often appear in folk tales.
- Wolves really afraid of and by the people - says Jim, - and this is a very intelligent animals. They are very difficult to shoot a close-up, get close, if you are a stranger to them. We managed it only because the wolves began to trust us after a long stay with them in their natural environment. We have these wolves had such a close relationship that happens only between members of the pack. And it will remain for a lifetime.
- We acted, given the conditions of the pack and do not approach them if they did not show us that it is not to our presence. Each morning we walked to him, leaving the tent and they met us, welcoming, like the members of his flock. They poskulivat and licked our faces as we shake hands during a meeting, and then all went about their business.
- We have never tried to dominate the pack, and the wolves are, in turn, never tried to force us to accept their domination. So that was all neutrally between us.
- Go to the wolves we have made it a strong negative attitude that there is an in relation to the wolves among people - continues after Jim his wife, Jamie, - Most people have for him a fierce hatred, we also wanted to show them that all is not so scary. All this anger comes from old fairy tales and myths, where everything is much exaggerated, but there was a time when wolves and humans lived together virtually. It is up to the wolves came to the man the dog, helping in the hunt and protection. Jim and I have found that people now can live peacefully with the wolves, if they knew them better.
Before his departure to the woods couple lived quite an ordinary life. Jamie worked at the zoo in Washington, DC, and Jim was the operator and made films about wildlife. According to them, it was very difficult to stop so soon manages in the woods without all the benefits of civilization, even without radio. In winter, covered with snow all around 5-6 feet (about 2 meters), and it became very cold. - We often laughed about it, but when I woke up this morning with primorozhennymi to my face skin hair - Jim recalls.
had warmed by a fire and another "set of methods invented," Jim says. Gradually, they became accustomed to this way of life. It happened 15 years ago, from 1990 to 1996. Since then, Jim and Jamie have dedicated their lives to talk about their experiences and wolves to the greatest possible number of people. They have their own website, they carry out educational work in major libraries, universities and schools around the world, including the Natural History Museum in London. They have released 3 books, and a fourth will be released under the title "The Hidden Life of Wolves" in February 2013.
- The time spent with the wolves gave us a stunning and amazing experience and knowledge that we cherish. Now we are trying to give myself something to the wolves return.