60 facts about Singapore through the eyes of Russians
After a trip to Singapore, we have compiled a list of fascinating facts. They are partly based on our own experience - something with which we encounter ourselves and some we found on the internet, while preparing to visit the country.
In any case, the facts are selected curious and hope you will be interested to read them.
1. Singapore is a city, capital of the state and at the same time.
2. The name Singapore comes from the Malay "Sing" - the lion and sankritskogo "pur" - the city. "
3. The national flower of Singapore is the orchid Vanda Miss Joaquim, which due to their viability and thanks to year-round bloom, became a symbol of the country, as a sign of commitment to the progress of Singaporeans.
4. Singapore is located mainly in one single large island, but it includes also 63 other small islands - most of them are uninhabited.
5. Singapore is among the twenty smallest countries in the world - with an area 715 square meters. km (for comparison, the area of St. Petersburg -. 1440 square kilometers).
6. There are about 4, 5 million people. The main population - the Chinese (78%), Malays (14%) and Indians (7%) and Europeans. According to rumors and officially home to around 400 Russian :)
7. The symbol of the city is a fish with a lion's head - the Merlion, and every September held the feast dedicated to this mythical animal
8. The climate in Singapore - equatorial, there is always hot and humid, the air temperature is around + 25-30˚S year round and humidity is 82-86%.
9. Singapore is located almost on the equator and the sun is very insidious - sunburn can be obtained even when the sky is overcast.
10. Torrential rain showers are possible throughout the year, so the locals are often an umbrella, which some also used as protection from the sun. 11. In general, the darker skin color is not held in high esteem - in stores cosmetics for skin whitening does not occupy one shelf and arranged, as a rule, on the most prominent places.
12. Singapore ranked second in the world in terms of population density, is located in the ranking between two dwarf states - Monaco and the Vatican.
13. National language is Malay, was executed on it the national anthem ( "Majulah Singapura"), but here are four official languages - English, Chinese, Tamil, Malay. In addition there are language mixture - "singlish" (singlish) and "manglish" (manglish).
14. Russian citizens can be in Singapore transit to 96 hours. Despite the fact that before Malaysia can be reached within 10 minutes by public bus, and to Indonesia reached by high-speed ferry, visa-free regime applies only when there is an air ticket, confirming that you are going to leave the country by plane.
15. Changi International Airport in Singapore is the largest aviation hub in the whole of Southeast Asia, its passenger traffic of over 36 million people a year.
16. In 2012, Changi Airport ranked second in the list of the best airports in the world by the Airports Council International (Airports Council International - ACI). The airport has several gardens with orchids and ponds where swimming goldfish, and in one of the terminals there is even a swimming pool. In the departure area there are computers with free internet access and a special play room for children.
17. Seaport country also belongs to the largest in the world (at the same time in the port may be 1,000 ships), in addition, he has repeatedly been named the best and most environmentally friendly in Asia. 18. For high fines and strict laws of Singapore jokingly called "Fine city" (a play on words in the English language, fine -. "Wonderful" and "fine")
19. Penalties in the city is really a lot. For example, for spitting on the ground, smoking in public places, littering, use of food transport, crossing the road in the wrong place, it relies a fine of 500 Singapore dollars (400 USD). A complete list of actions to be punished by a fine, tens.
20. One of the most comical of fines - a penalty applied in the event that, after watering flowers in a saucer under the pot of water left. The fact is that water attracts mosquitoes, and the city government is almost completely eradicated these insects, so get rid of the fever epidemics and malaria in the country.
21. fines exist disturbances, which may be used for corporal punishment (in addition to imprisonment of course) in the form of a reed beats - attempted murder, robbery, theft, rape, vandalism and so on.
22. In addition to corporal punishment applied by the courts in Singapore is also popular homemade punishment of children - in the shops even sell special, lightweight reed sticks for this purpose. American Justice, where children sue their parents for a slap on the ass, just relaxing :)
23. Also, the country has the death penalty (by hanging), it is used for the most severe crimes - particularly brutal murder, drug trafficking, corruption, treason and attempt on the life of the president.
24. Singapore is one of the world leaders in the number of death sentences - from 1991 to 2004. they resulted in the execution more than four times (mostly drug dealers were in the loop). 25. Singapore has legalized prostitution. Land on Gay Street according to official figures employs more than 10,000 girls.
26. Through its judicial system and legislation, Singapore is considered one of the safest and most law-abiding country, and the crime rate is among the lowest in the world - on any neighborhoods of the city, you can safely walk both day and night.
27. almost no policemen on the streets, but everywhere hang cameras, both explicit and implicit - with their help, exercises control over the order.
28. In many apartments hanging on the door combination locks with a fine chain that hung more for form's sake than for security purposes.
29. Singapore has no natural resources, and imports not only sand, but even fresh water from Malaysia.
30. Singapore is part of a group of "East Asian Tigers", along with South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong - are countries that have committed a huge economic breakthrough, literally for 30 years turned from countries of the third world in the advanced countries.
31. The Prime Minister of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew, who led the government from 1959 to 1990, became famous for its rigidity and intransigence in the fight against corruption, which he was able to safely eradicate, so has been the rapid economic growth it is possible. To the question "How did you manage to fight corruption?", He replied, "Start with the fact that the plant three of your friends. You know exactly what, and they know why."
32. Another indicator by which Singapore is a leader - it's great. According to the American agency Bloomberg (The World's Healthiest Countries 2012) The financial and economic information, the state of health of residents of Singapore is the best in the world. In this case, the general index of quality of life of the country is at 11th place. 33. One reason for the excellent level of health is considered to be tasty and healthy national cuisine of Singapore. According to Forbes magazine, the country ranks in second place (after Japan) on the quality of the local food, which has a positive effect on health, fitness and longevity.
34. Many gourmets like Singapore for the variety of dishes - at the expense of mixing domestic (Chinese, Malaysian, Indian) cuisine, as well as the significant Western influence, is easy to find culinary creations to your taste. One important feature is the fact that regardless of the level of the restaurant and the prices, the food is always fresh and high quality.
35. Mix is not only food, but also ways to use food - local residents, depending on the type of food, deftly used as a wand and a spoon, and the right hand (the left hand is considered unclean and are not used to eating).
36. Very popular here uses an independent finish cooking. Visitors of the restaurant give the ingredients that need to be lowered into the pan to get a fresh soup or stew or frying pan with sizzling meat, which must be reversed and dozharit to the desired condition. Especially for this purpose in many restaurants on the tables are small gas stoves
37. The average life expectancy of Singaporeans - 80 years - 14 years longer than the same indicator in Russia.
38. With regard to the economy - is also ahead of Singapore, it is the 4th leading financial center in the world after London, New York and Hong Kong, there are more than 130 banks in the world. The inflation rate remains at the level of 2-3%, and according to the rating company Economist Intelligence Unit, Singapore is the most competitive city in Asia in terms of doing business. 39. The median income for a Singaporean - $ 34,000 a year.
40. The country has about 100 thousand dollar millionaires live (almost 3% of the population). The city even has a separate "quarter of millionaires" - Keppel Bay
41. The computer registration of a legal entity in Singapore in just 10 minutes. It is said that in the year 2009, Medvedev, a well-known fan of electronic technology, while visiting Singapore for the sample registered a jur. face, and a year later the local authorities asked the Russian to the question about taxes - such as the company opened is not a joke, but seriously, but nobody thought to close.
42. This phenomenon is popular in Asia as a slum, unknown to Singapore. Once any part of the city, you will see the relative cleanliness and order.
43. Our friends the Indians removed two-bedroom apartment in a 15-minute walk from the center. Despite the fact that the rooms are quite small, simple repair, and the kitchen remodeled from the balcony, they pay for it in 1900 SGD (about 50,000 rubles). And according to them, if you shoot an apartment away from the center, the significant savings will not work, all about the same price.
44. One of the calling cards Singapore - a unique five-star hotel complex Marina Bay Sands (Marina Bay Sands), a three-hundred-meter 55-storey towers. On the roofs of the towers is a playground SkyPark in form of a ship, which, inter alia, has a 150-meter pool. Entrance to the observation deck costs 20 SGD, but swim in the pool will be possible only in case if you are the guest of the hotel, and allowed to go to once a day pool tour at 14:00 and only 15 minutes
45. In Singapore, there are two ethnic District - Little India ( "Little India") and Chinatown ( "Chinatown"). Initially, these areas have been created for the integration of immigrants, but now they have lost their original meaning and are cultural centers, where you can taste traditional cuisine and to buy domestic goods. 46. Food in one of the Indian restaurants that we visited were really Indian, but the sizes and prices differ at times, and the size is 3 times less, and the price is 3 times higher, and the service is authentic - and sloppy-track. Masala tea brought in traditional small plates, thimbles, habitually careless spilling it on the saucer :) Although it does not affect the taste, the same excellent, as well as in India.
47. Throughout the city a lot of free public toilets - they are quite friendly and they even have toilet paper (which is very unusual for Asia).
48. The number of Chinese lanterns which decorate the streets of Chinatown, it is impossible to count - they hang literally everywhere
49. The Mid-Autumn Festival (Mid-Autumn Festival) - the ancient unity of the family holiday and Thanksgiving is celebrated in Chinatown in September during the most full and bright moon - a symbol of abundance, harmony and prosperity.
50. The fight against traffic jams made by the authorities from two sides. Firstly, there is a well-developed public transport, and secondly, the possession of a car - fun fairly expensive: in order to get a private transport, it is necessary at a special auction to buy a permit for the right of driving - it costs about 60,000 SGD and issued it for 10 years.
The cars themselves, at the expense of duty, are expensive, and in addition, you need to pay a rather big fee for registration and statement on the account. Well, in addition - in Singapore many toll road sections, bridges, tunnels and interchanges. Each car is equipped with payment terminals, through which a credit card is automatically deducted the correct amount. Thus, the cars here can afford only the wealthy, which, however, is not so little. 51. Singapore - one of the 9 countries of the world, beginning with the sale of Apple's new technology. Here, just as in the US, distributed system in which iPhones are sold relatively cheaply when you make a contract with a mobile operator for several years.
52. Singapore is very popular branded clothing and accessories - wherever you look, everywhere Louis Vuitton, Mont Blanc, Gucci and Prada.
53. Especially popular handbags Louis Vuitton - despite the fact that their prices start at $ 800, in every third young lady walking with them. However, many tourists visit the store LV (which is located near the Marina Bay) as a museum - it is in the water and externally looks very unusual
54. Despite the fact that Singapore is called the "concrete jungle", in almost every area of the city has sports courts and a park with an abundance of greenery, where you can relax and take a breath of fresh air. Almost half of Singapore is covered by green spaces - gardens and national parks.
55. It is said that Singapore was built according to the canons of Feng Shui - its landscape and architecture consistent with this teaching about the impact of energy flows in the human.
56. Every night next to the Marina Bay waterfront passes laser show - the water from the fountain sprayed a fine spray, creating a screen on which, accompanied by music from the speakers projected image. The laser show is free and open to all, and therefore better to come - a lack of willing, as a rule, no.
57. The only night race of Formula 1 in the world - "Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix", held in Singapore.
58. Fountain Of Wealth - the largest fountain in the world (28 m), which is even listed in the Guinness Book of Records. It is especially beautiful in the evening, with multicolored lights 59. The Singapore Zoo is considered one of the best zoos in the world, in which the animals are not in cages, and roam freely on the territory. Ticket price - 20 SGD, but most visitors concurs that this is one of the most justifiable expenses in Singapore.
60. Singapore Flyer - the tallest Ferris wheel in the world, its height is 165 meters (the height of the London Eye, London counterpart - 135 meters). In good weather from the top offers a spectacular view of the city and can be seen even some of the islands of Indonesia and Malaysia.