50 facts about Mexico through the eyes of Russians
It has been almost a year since our trip to North America and today we decided to freshen up the trip in memory will be 50 facts about Mexico, based on our experiences. We do not pretend to be objective - this is only our vision of the country.
1. Buritosy and tacos - a national and very popular food here, based on tortillas made from corn, wheat flour, and even cactus. The second component - meat, chicken or vegetables, and make sure the beans or kidney beans, all directed spicy chili sauce.
2. Fresh fruit juices, as well as a variety of soft drinks, which are sold on every street corner - very cheap, but beware - there generously put ice or diluted with water of unknown origin
3. Fruits sold in the streets already peeled and cut in the form of a plastic bag, before they are offered for sale sprinkle chili powder from sugar, for those who like it hot
4. Homemade ice cream, which can be found on sale, sold without packaging, but that seems to chocolate chip, can be chili. Even buying an ice cream, it is necessary to clarify - "spicy but pliz" :)
5. Tequila (the full name of Santiago de Tequila) - is the name of a Mexican city, which is the main production of the eponymous drink.
6. Blue agave - the plant used to make tequila, contrary to popular belief that it is made from cactus. Blue agave belongs to the family of asparagus and looks like a small shrub with thorns, apparently so, and there was a stereotype about cacti.
7. Tekilero - so called expert on tequila.
8. Popular local sweets: candy of apple and other fruit - in the form of toffee in the shape of cubes; coconut, candied limes; sweet bean chili in the form churchkhelas. 9. Boiled corn is also a popular delicacy here - you can buy the entire cob or already purified in the cup. The seller, in addition to corn in glass adds salt, mayonnaise and sprinkle with cheese and all this mess squeezing lime juice. And for an ear, and a glass of the same price - a little more than a dollar.
10. Corn is generally universal product - its eaten raw, boiled and grilled, from her make tortillas, soup, yogurt and even corn ice cream with pieces of corn.
11. The meat in the villages are often sold without refrigeration - despite the heat, just hanging on the hook.
12. The major supermarkets sellers work in gauze bandages
13. The Mexican Groupon is very developed in large cities - often there are interesting offers, promotions will appeal to fans of discounts. We do not just buy coupons at a cafe, have booked a room in the hotel (3 nights for the price of two), paid "extreme tour" with a discount of 75%, a visit to a crocodile farm for 50%, and an excursion to segveyah for 30% of the tour price
14. The sand on the Caribbean coast of coral origin - very fine, white and almost not heated. In 40-degree heat on it can be quite easy to walk barefoot
15. The water in the Caribbean Sea is very warm, around 25-28 degrees year round.
16. Underwater museum with four hundred sculptures located at a depth of 2 to 10 meters is near Cancun. He probably will like divers who are bored with tropical fish and coral reefs.
17. Beaches of Cancun and Tulum is among the ten best beaches in the world according to TripAdvisor.
18. Cenotes - are natural wells or small lakes, which the Maya used as water sources and places of sacrifice, they will appreciate the fans of snorkelling. Most cenotes are located in caves with many fanciful stalactites and stalagmites. The water is crystal clear and pleasantly cool, well-suited for a break from the heat outside. 19. Iguanas different colors and sizes are very common in villages and small towns in Mexico
20. The official taxis in Mexico City on the glass hangs necessarily state license with a photo of the driver. To avoid misunderstandings, it is recommended to check the photo and the person sitting behind the wheel.
21. Taxis in Mexico is different safety classes. The security - the more expensive, but generally it's pretty cheap. 3-4 People often profitable to take a taxi than to ride on public transport
22. The cost of a local call from a pay phone does not depend on the duration of the conversation. For example, unlimited landline call will cost 3 pesos (25 cents)
23. Mexico is located in the mountains, at an altitude of 2240 meters, so if you are flying from the coast or the plains of parts ready at the exit from the airport to put on a sweater or jacket. During the day it is warm, and in the morning and in the evening is pretty cool.
24. Metro in the 20 million capital, as compared with Peter and Moscow, relatively not crowded, even during rush hour.
25. Designation of the picture, in addition to names, each has a metro station - it is made especially for those who can not read
26. The bicycle parking is on some metro stations - many run to the station by bike, hang it on a special rail in the lobby in front of the turnstiles and then go on the subway
27. A lot of dealers can be found in the capital's subway - how to decompose their goods in transit, and moving the carriages. Funny voices howling, like the priest of the church, singing psalms, they offer buy a variety of goods - food, clothes, shoes, souvenirs, etc. -.. Often as we have "three to desyatochku" :) 28. Sellers of music CDs visible, or rather hear the most. They come in the car with a column-backpack and includes a disc with the hits so that you could hear in the next station.
29. Free bicycle rental - special city program for tourists operates in Mexico. Point with bicycles are located close to many attractions.
30. Metrobus - is a special form of transport in the capital, something in between subway and bus. Externally, it is a bus, but it consists of two parts and drives, more often, through a dedicated lane. The entrance to it is through the turnstiles at specially equipped stations.
31. For the disabled and women is the first car in metrobase - this division of the state forced measure to protect women from harassment hot Mexicans.
32. currency exchange in the tourist places very much, but the currency is best changed in banks - the course is always better. At itself necessarily have the passport.
33. The double name - the norm for locals (eg, Addy Mary or Carlos Antonio). It has nothing to do with their parents, simply do not give birth one name but two.
34. Medical care for the population of Mexico is free, but is said by local, very low quality, so if you want to normal conditions and assistance necessary to go to a private clinic.
35. Education is also almost completely free of charge. For high school students provide a variety of social programs - up to free meals and uniforms. The universities pay a decent stipend, but many still do not want to learn - go to work.
36. quinceañera (Quinceañera) - one of the most important events in the life of a Mexican girl, symbolizing their entry into adult life. Quinceañera is celebrated on the day of the 15th anniversary, and is usually celebrated on a grand scale - with the ceremony in the church, flowers, gifts and professional photo and video shooting, dancing and live music. The guests and the hero of the occasion dressed in expensive clothes and jewelry to match wedding
37. The numbering of streets and houses in the cities very interesting - the streets are called by numbers: Calle 1, Calle 2. And even run perpendicular to the odd, and the address is listed as "Calle 2, house 56, between Calle Calle 1 and 3". It is very convenient and allows you to quickly find the street and the house on it, even without a card hand.
38. One-way traffic is organized in many cities due to the fact that most of the streets are narrow. Wherein the direction of movement alternates - for example, Calle 1 in one direction, and on Calle 3 - to another. Two-way traffic is on wide streets, they are usually called Avenida - avenues.
39. According to the same principle built most of the small towns and villages: the central square area on which the cathedral collection and police building, and in the middle - park.
40. Tricycle - the most common form of transport in small villages. And one wheel is located behind, and two - in the front, and on them a big basket, which carry everything - from firewood to people
41. The reed huts residents live very poor villages. Often in such a hut single "piece of furniture" - a hammock.
42. Chips, cookies and Coca-Cola - the permanent collection of products, which are in every shop, in every village of the most run-down. Coca-Cola lettering is emblazoned on all stores.
43. Insurance with franchise offers most companies car rental. To find insurance with full coverage you need to work hard.
44. The difference between "automatic" and "mechanics" when renting a car, as a rule, is not very significant - we overpaid a total of 12 $ a week.
45. The license plate missing on many machines - "data sheet" is hanging in their place on the rear window.
46. Imprinting - this ancient procedure had to be subjected to a bank card for payment of the rental car. A few days later the bank to block the card due to the fact that she had been "compromised". It is not known whether this is connected with imprinting or simply spending in Mexico.
47. Heavy stuff, especially the pots, women often wear on their heads
48. The police patrolling the streets of the city, standing in the back of an SUV - a frequent phenomenon in major tourist cities
49. Corruption is very common among the police - for any violation of the road begin to gently offer "to solve the problem on the spot"
50. City Mayan Chichen Itza, which refers to the list of "New 7 Wonders of the World" is located on the Yucatan peninsula